Monthly Archives: March 2014

Is your home mapped incorrectly in a designated flood area?

What does a property owner do if they think they may have been mapped in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) incorrectly?

A property owner may submit a request to FEMA for a Letter of Amendment as their first step towards changing their Flood Zone Designation. Before FEMA can issue a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA),  Electronic Letter of Map Amendment  (eLOMA) or a Letter of Map Revision to remove a property and/or structure from the SFHA,  the applicant will need an elevation certificate for the property.

Fred L Dodd Jr. Surveyor LLC can quickly prepare an elevation certificate for your property located in Travis County, Williamson County, Bastrop County, Lee County, Burnet County, and Hayes County. Feel free to request a quote or call 512-953-5705.

Important information from the FEMA website:

  • A SFHA is defined as the area that will be inundated by the flood event having a 1-percent chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year.
  • A LOMC reflects an official revision/amendment to an effective Flood Insurance Rate Map. If the LOMC request is granted, property owners may be eligible for lower flood insurance premiums, or the option to not purchase flood insurance.
  • Electronic Letter of Map Amendment (eLOMA)  is a web-based application within the Mapping Information Platform (MIP) that provides licensed land surveyors and professional engineers (Licensed Professionals) with a system to submit simple Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) requests to FEMA.

References:!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz 9CP0os3gDCyNfM_OAYHcnA3cPH19vT28jAwjQL8h2VAQAxPOZIQ!!/?PC_7_ 082M67PSC80C2G0BG640000000000000_ContentData=%2Fresources%2Fwhatiseloma.htm